Start up your own saw mill business On a daily basis, thousands of timbers are fell in the forests globally just for the purpose of converting them to planks meant for construction and furniture. The implication of this is that wood merchants records billions of dollars worth of transaction daily. How can you start the business of processing planks for the users.
Would you like to tap into this very viable industry? Here’s how.
Know all there is to know
This is just a matter of differentiating between hardwoods or soft woods. While the former tends to be denser and heavier, the latter is usually lighter. Softwoods are sometimes referred to as white-woods in some sub-Saharan African wood markets. Go to your prospective suppliers and request for samples of different types of hardwoods and softwoods. The size does not need to be more than 10 by 10 inches. Keep the samples in your store so that you can keep comparing them with the subsequent supplies you will be getting. You can take this samples to different carpenters and woodworkers for confirmation.
Basically, hardwoods are more expensive than softwoods. Hardwoods are more durable than softwoods. Whether it is hard or softwood, the number or types of woods used in furniture and constructions are numerous. Depending on what is obtainable in your locality, you may not know all the types in one day. You have to keep learning on the job.
Write a business plan
You can use your sawmill business plan for different purposes; ranging from loan application, to grant application, and even for business proposals etc. This should serve as a roadmap for your day to day business operations. So make sure you have it handy. This can easily be settled by contracting professional consultants to have it duly prepared for you, along with a feasibility study for the business. You may send a direct mail to email@example.com to this end.
Get a good location
In starting your sawmill business, it is important that you set up your business in a place that is very close to construction sites. Construction workers are in need of planks from when they lay the foundation of a building, and especially when they are roofing it. For roofing and ceilings, the carpenters demand for high quality hardwood because they are more durable. So stock your stall with more hardwoods.
It is important that you provide a shed on your site to prevent the rain from damaging your machines. You also need to get tarpaulin to cover them at night.
Circular and band mills
Chainsaw mills: This portable machine is a relatively cheaper option which more or less meets all the needs of a typical sawmill factory. It can cut wider and larger lumber than the band or circular mills
A wood planer
Get power backup
To power your machines, it is important that you get a diesel powered generating set. This is essential knowing that there could be power outage brought about by natural disasters or other factors. Especially in a country like ours where the government has not been particularly responsible when it comes to providing power, it is a necessity to get a generator. Whatever the cause of power outage, it should not constitute a hindrance, disturbing you from doing your business.
The outflow of money doesn’t stop at buying the machines. The following overhead costs need to be considered as well.
- Fuel to run the machine
- Lubricants to be used
- Transportation costs
- Cost of wood( if it is bought)
- Periodic maintenance cost to ensure smooth running of the machine
- Operator cost; which will depend on whether the operation is a one-man or multi-person one
You should also keep in mind the amount of wood that will be lost as sawdust.
In today’s world, marketing plays an integral part in the success of any business. Just relying on word-of-mouth publicity cannot be enough. Advertisements in print media, promotion through social media platforms, are some of the ways to create a position for your business in already existing markets.
List of sawmill companies in Nigeria
- BG Contracting Limited: BG Contracting Limited, a subsidiary of Bernice Group handles the timber processing & trading aspect of their business & deal in mainly African hardwoods like ebony, zebrawood, teak, iroko, etc & also produce & trade in lumbers, squares & scantlings. And is located at 206 Ikorodu Road, Palmgrove, Lagos, Nigeria.
- Alpha Endon Limited: located at 108, Shasha Road, Akowonjo, Lagos Nigeria
Alpha Endon Limited has two sawmills in Nigeria precisely in Osun and Ekiti states with the processing factory situated in Lagos and produces various types of tropical woods.
- Agro Forest Nigeria Limited: Benin Road, Akure, Ondo State Nigeria
Agro Forest Nigeria Limited is the sawmill of Wan-Wood Nigeria that provides them with the supplies of logs and production of wood planks, boards, strips and more for construction and flooring.
- Great Hope Enterprises Limited: Great Hope Enterprises Limited deals on Mahogany, Cedar, Akun, Afara, Opepe, Abora, Melaina, Itara, Okilolo, Somi, Mansonia wood and more.
- Surulere Sawmill: Ojutaye, Ilorin, Kwara State Nigeria.
Surulere Sawmill is situated in Ilorin, Kwara State and is centre for wood and plank productions.
- Thameswood Products Limited: Thameswood Products Limited manufactures railway sleepers, guitar back & sides, wooden marine fenders, iroko lumber & specialise also in the supplies of sawn timber, logs, exotic wood blanks, furniture parts, floorboards, friezes etc. It is located at Plot 20, GRA Phase 1, Ikorodu, Lagos Nigeria
If you need more information or would like to book a consulting session with us, you can call us on 08105636015 or 08076359735. Alternatively, you can send a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Serial Entrepreneur - International Business Planning Consultant - Speaker - Trainer - Author - Blogger - Network Marketing professional.
- 2018 SME Business Trainer and Coaching Advisor at GIZ for SME Loop.
- 2018 YALI RLC Online Cohort 9
- 2017 Fellow, Inspire Africa Train-the-Trainer Entrepreneurship programme sponsored by US Consulate Lagos and the Dickey Center, U.S.A.
- 2016 Fellow, Tony Elumelu Foundation Entrepreneurship Programme
- 2015 Top 50 Innovative Entrepreneurs, BET5 by Diamond Bank and EDC, PAU.
He is an alumnus of Enterprise Development Centre (EDC) of the Lagos Business School (LBS), Pan-Atlantic University (PAU). Through his training, mentoring, speaking and coaching programmes, he has empowered many young people over the years to start and grow their own business, build wealth, create multiple streams of income and achieve financial independence.
- He is a Certified Trainer in Design Thinking by the U.S Consulate, Lagos and the inspire Africa Entrepreneurship Institute.