Apply for IGNITE Innovation Lab 2018
Inspire Africa for Global Impacts Initiative (Inspire Africa)
Submission Deadline: August 5, 2018.
Inspire Africa with the support of U.S. Embassy Nigeria launches “IGNITE Innovation Lab” for young entrepreneurs to co-create innovative business ideas that address the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals so as to transform their communities and create jobs. Before the lab, we will host IGNITE Summit 2018 in two Nigerian states – Benue state (6th October), and Kaduna state (14th October 2018) respectively. The Summit is open to both male and female participants but all interested candidates must register to attend (It’s Free). Following these program will be Ignite Innovation Lab which is scheduled to take place 3rd week of January 2019 at Abuja.
After IGNITE Summit 2018, 15 – 20 high-potential women participants from the two (2) summits will be further shortlisted to join an intensive innovation lab at FCT, Abuja (accommodation and feeding will be covered). These participants will work together in small teams of 3 -5 and then taken through a facilitated process of Design-Thinking to co-create innovative business solutions that simultaneously address the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). At the end of the rapid-fire innovation process, participants will present their team business project ideas to a panel of jury.
The best teams innovation will receive a total shared cash prize of $5,000 USD and in-kind prizes from US Embassy and Inspire Africa for their team project and equity investment from Investors. The best presenter will be given the opportunity to attend the Global Engagement Summit in Chicago, U.S.A.
- Accommodation and feeding will be provided for all participants for the Innovation Lab ONLY! (Participants are responsible for their own travel and visa cost).
- This will be very beneficial to both young people in Nigeria and across the globe with startup enterprise, as we hope to expose them to and widen their knowledge on social entrepreneurship, Innovation, design thinking, and encourage participation in the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals to transform their communities and build economic prosperity.
- Selected winners will receive more training and expertise on business development, fundraising, pitching to investors, receive mentorship and cash prizes to support their business.
- Finally, participants will get the chance to compete for a slot to attend the Global Engagement Summit in Chicago, USA.
- IGNITE Summit is FREE for all interested participants (Male or Female). The first edition of IGNITE Innovation Lab is only for young women. Subsequent editions will be open to both male and female from across the world.
Submission Deadline: August 5, 2018
In order to be considered for IGNITE Innovation Lab, candidates must meet the following minimum requirements:
- The application will be accepted from candidates in any part of the world.
- Candidate must be within the age of 20 – 30 years.
- Candidate must be fluent in English. (Any level of education is acceptable).
- The idea must be innovative and address any of the Sustainable Development Goals. (Check here for goals; http://datatopics.worldbank.org/sdgatlas/ ).
- The idea must already have a prototype or at the pilot stage.
- Candidate must apply as a team (2 – 4 persons per team is acceptable).
- Each team must be FEMALE-led with a minimum of 2 female members. This is the most important criteria needed to qualify for the IGNITE Innovation Lab for Young Women. Any MALE who wishes to participate in the Summit workshop is welcomed so long as they are a member of a team.
- Candidates are allowed to pair-up or partner with other participants at the summit to form a team.
The short-listed teams residing in Nigeria must have all its candidate attend IGNITE Summit in one location (Kaduna or Benue), otherwise, the team will be disqualified from participating in the Ignite Innovation Lab. (Candidates from other countries are exempted from attending IGNITE Summit except they wish to participate but will be responsible for their own travel cost).
Candidates are selected based on four Judging criteria:
- Demonstrated commitment to solving some of the world’s pressing challenges
- Possession of a creative and innovative mindset and idea
- Proven track record of making contributions to solving social causes
- Willingness to engage in co-creation with peers and experts
Successful teams who meet the requirements will be invited to participate in Phase II of the application process, after the IGNTIE Summit in Benue or Kaduna State.
The short-listed candidates will pitch at the summit and will also be required to submit a detailed business proposal after the Summit workshop to be considered as the 15 – 20 finalists to attend IGNITE Innovation Lab in Abuja, FCT.
We are looking for top talents with big ideas and a desire to create change. The proposed idea must address one or more of the following UN Sustainable Development Goals below: http://datatopics.worldbank.org/sdgatlas/
- Good Health and Well-being.
- Quality Education.
- Clean Water and Sanitation.
- Affordable and Clean Energy.
- Decent Work and Economic Growth.
To register for IGNITE Summit 2018; Click here: Ignite Summit 2018
What video of past event here: Inspire Africa Video
Serial Entrepreneur - International Business Planning Consultant - Speaker - Trainer - Author - Blogger - Network Marketing professional
- 2018 YALI RLC Online Cohort 9
- 2017 Fellow, Inspire Africa Train-the-Trainer Entrepreneurship programme sponsored by US Consulate Lagos and the Dickey Center, U.S.A.
- 2016 Fellow, Tony Elumelu Foundation Entrepreneurship Programme
- 2015 Top 50 Innovative Entrepreneurs, BET5 by Diamond Bank and EDC, PAU.
He is an alumnus of Enterprise Development Centre (EDC) of the Lagos Business School (LBS), Pan-Atlantic University (PAU). Through his training, mentoring, speaking and coaching programmes, he has empowered many young people over the years to start and grow their own business, build wealth, create multiple streams of income and achieve financial independence.
- He is a Certified Trainer in Design Thinking by the U.S Consulate, Lagos and the inspire Africa Entrepreneurship Institute.