Apply for United Nations Young Professionals Programme (YPP) 2019
Application Deadline: July 21, 2019 (25 Days Remaining)
The Young Professionals Programme (YPP) is a recruitment initiative for talented, highly qualified professionals to start a career as an international civil servant with the United Nations Secretariat. It consists of an entrance examination and professional development programmes once successful candidates start their career with the UN. It is a two years internship for young professionals under UN Young Professionals Programme.
Depending on the staffing needs of the United Nations, applicants are invited to apply for different exam subjects. Descriptions of responsibilities, expected competencies and education requirements differ depending on the area.
The world looks to the United Nations for solutions to complex problems everywhere; from ending conflict and alleviating poverty, to combating climate change and defending human rights. The issues on their agenda are manifold and diverse as are the careers they offer. Among their ranks you will find staff members who monitor elections, disarm child soldiers, coordinate relief in humanitarian crises and provide administrative as well as logistical support to carry out complex mandates. These are just a few examples amongst many other equally critical and necessary functions.
The wide array of jobs means that you may change functions, departments, geographic locations, and even organizations or fields of work throughout your career in the Organization.
Does making a difference motivate you? Are you selfless and driven to be a part of a bigger purpose in the service of humanity? And, are hope and strength of character attributes which will guide your zeal to make a difference in a complex world?
Are you the type of person who will travel and work anywhere at a moment’s notice?
Do you thrive in an environment that is truly international and multi-cultural, which respects as well as promotes diversity and functions at its best through the efforts of teams of different people?
These are some of the characteristics that you will find in UN staff. They want people with integrity. People who are fair, impartial, honest and truthful. They want dynamic and adaptable persons who are not afraid to think creatively, to be proactive, flexible and responsive.
If you think you embody these values then this is the place for you and your career. Apply for UN Young Professionals Programme.
- Placement on the roster: Successful candidates will be placed on their respective rosters in July and will remain on the roster for the duration of three years. After three years the roster closes. Those not placed within these three years will no longer be considered for posts and will have to re-take the YPP examination if they wish to be reconsidered.
- Type of contract offered: Candidates who are selected from the roster will be offered a two-year fixed term contract at the start of their Professional career with the Secretariat. After two years and subject to satisfactory performance, they may be granted a continuing contract.
- Level of first placement: Your placement level can only be at a P-1 or P-2 level. Successful candidates holding a bachelor’s degree and no work experience will be offered placement at the P-1 level. Successful candidates holding a bachelor’s degree and two years of work experience, or a master’s degree and no work experience, will be offered placement at the P-2 level. You are expected to serve for a minimum of two years in that position before being considered for appointment to another position.
- Managed Reassignment Programme: Once a year, junior professionals with a minimum of 2 years in their first function will be invited to participate in a Managed Reassignment Program (MRP). They are invited to select other positions of interest to them so they can be reassigned to another position, normally in a different department and duty station. The objective of this programme is to provide Junior Professional staff with new opportunities to diversify and develop their career, to acquire new skills and to consolidate a solid foundation for their career advancement. It should be noted that staff are responsible for selecting as many positions as possible in order to maximise their chances of reassignment. Those who are not successful may be required to participate in the following MRP.
- The YPP examination is held once a year and is open to nationals of countries participating in the annual recruitment exercise. The list of participating countries is published annually and varies from year to year.
- You must have the nationality of a participating country.
- You must hold at least a first-level university degree relevant for the exam subject you are applying for.
- You must be 32 or younger in the year of the examination.
- You must be fluent in either English or French.
Eligible Regions: Afghanistan, Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahrain, Belarus, Belize, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Cabo Verde, Cambodia, Central African Republic, China, Comoros, Cyprus, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Dominica, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Grenada, Guinea-Bissau, Indonesia, Iran (Islamic Republic of), Japan, Kiribati, Kuwait, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Marshall Islands, Micronesia (Federated States of), Monaco, Montenegro, Mozambique, Nauru, Norway, Oman, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Solomon Islands, South Sudan, Suriname, Syrian Arab Republic, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, United Arab Emirates, United States of America, Vanuatu, Venezuela.
- Confirm your eligibility: Carefully review basic application criteria on the YPP Home page.
- Review the job opening: Read the job opening for the exam subject you are interested in and make sure you fulfil the requirements. The list of job openings can be found on the YPP Home page.
- Prepare an application: Apply to the selected job opening through Inspira. Additional guidelines on creating applications are available by clicking on the “Manuals and Help’’ link found in the upper right-hand corner of the webpage.
- Application evaluation: Your application will be screened to determine if you are eligible for the examination in the exam subject you applied for. If more than 40 applicants from the same country apply for the same exam area, those applicants will be further screened and ranked by a Human Resources Officer according to points given for the following additional qualifications: highest level of education completed, knowledge of official UN languages, and relevant work experience. Please be aware that many potential applicants do not pass the screening stage due to incomplete or inaccurate applications.
If your application was successful, you will be informed that you are convoked to the examination. If determined that you are not eligible to apply or if your application was unsuccessful, you will be informed that you have not been convoked to the examination.
- Covid-19 Business Plan Give away @ ₦5000 only for the next 7 days instead of ₦20,000. - April 1, 2020
- AQUACULTURE BUSINESS PLAN IN NIGERIA - March 29, 2020
- Woodwork and Furniture Business plan in Nigeria - March 29, 2020