Daikin-Samurai Incubate Africa Ideathon for African Startups 2019 (up to $150,000 funding)
Deadline: November 20th, 2019.
‘Daikin -Samurai Incubate Africa Ideathon’ is an initiative by the leading multinational AirConditioning brand DAIKIN and African early stage VC – Samurai Incubate. The Ideathon aims to find the 10 most innovative startups across Africa who are keen to partner and expand their business with Japanese partners. The startup holds a chance to get in a partnership with Daikin and an exciting chance to get funded by Samurai Incubate Africa.
In Africa, Daikin is interested in trying a completely new and innovative method to sell their products (such as pay-as-you-go/subscription payment model, securitization of the items and etc.) to allow ACs to be beneficial and installable for as many households/commercial properties/buildings as possible.
In fact, the quality of Daikin’s products is absolutely appraised worldwide without a question, but in addition, the company has strong know-hows for capacity building of local engineers for installment/repair/maintenance of ACs, and therefore strongly wishes to contribute to job creation and empowerment of African people as well.
Samurai Incubate Africa Inc., a Japanese venture capital firm focusing on investment into African startups, will co-organize ideathon with Daikin to find a great company to be invested in.
Are you operating in Africa, looking to find a Japanese partner to scale your business? This is an exclusive opportunity to introduce your company to a Japanese investor and the world’s largest AC company from Japan.
- All-expenses-paid trip (air ticket, accommodation and visa for up to two members of your team) to Nairobi on Dec 9-12, 2019
- Winner at the pitch event will have right to receive investment of $100,000-150,000 from Samurai Incubate Africa Inc.
- A few participants proposing great ideas of Daikin’s potential sales expansion during the ideathon will be invited to a committee in early 2020 in order to discuss partnership between the parties further in detail. Once the partnership is agreed and approved, you can commence Proof-of-Concept (POC) of such idea with budget fully covered by Daikin.
- Your company is for-profit and registered as an independent legal entity;
- You have a product or service available on the market and generate revenue in the following business domains;
- Fintech (Daikin has a special interest in collaborating with startups having mobile money/banking/payment/lending solutions)
- Property Tech / Real Estate Tech
- Clean Energy
- Air Tech
- Your product or service is designed for scale;
- You have a very strong management team of at least 2 people;
- Your company is based in or planning to expand into one or more countries on the African continent where there is a demand for air conditioners;
- You are seeking an opportunity to be a potential African partner for scaling your business as well as Daikin’s business penetration in Africa by collaboration and partnership;
|Oct20 – Nov20||Application period|
|Oct25 – Nov25||Selection process / reviews / interviews|
|Nov10 – Nov 30||Participants announced
-Flamework of the discussion to be used during the ideathon will be provided from Samurai Incubate Africa Inc after the notification to the participants.
|Dec 10-11||Ideathon with Daikin and Samurai Incubate Africa to discuss what’s the best collaboration between you and Daikin in order to
-scale your business growth
-support Daikin’s business growth in AfricaPitch Event in the evening of December 11 and a winner will receive investment from Samurai Incubate Africa
WHAT TO EXPECT
If you are selected as a participant startup, you are expected to:
- Prepare to explain why you could be a great African partner for Daikin and how your product / service can support Daikin’s business expansion
- Be prepared to travel to Nairobi in the period of December 9-12, 2019 to attend the event.
- If you are required a visa to travel to Kenya, take necessary procedures and acquire a visa before flying to Kenya. The visa fee will be reimbursed from us.
For more info visit Daikin-Samurai Incubate Africa Ideathon 2019
Serial Entrepreneur - International Business Planning and Development Consultant - Speaker - Trainer - Author - Blogger - Network Marketing professional.
- 2018 SME Business Trainer and Coaching Advisor at GIZ (Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit) for SME Loop.
- 2018 Executive Director/ Project Manager, Dayo Adetiloye Empowerment and Development Initiative
- 2018 YALI RLC Online Cohort 9
- 2017 Fellow, Inspire Africa Train-the-Trainer Entrepreneurship programme sponsored by US Consulate Lagos and the Dickey Center, U.S.A.
- 2016 Fellow, Tony Elumelu Foundation Entrepreneurship Programme
- 2016 CEO, Dayo Adetiloye Business Hub
- 2015 Top 50 Innovative Entrepreneurs, BET5 by Diamond Bank and EDC, PAU.
He is an alumnus of Enterprise Development Centre (EDC) of the Lagos Business School (LBS), Pan-Atlantic University (PAU). And Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) Ile-Ife, Nigeria.
Through his training, mentoring, speaking and coaching programmes, he has empowered many young people over the years to start and grow their own business, build wealth, create multiple streams of income and achieve financial independence.
- He is a Certified Trainer in Design Thinking by the U.S Consulate, Lagos and the inspire Africa Entrepreneurship Institute.
Latest posts by Dayo Adetiloye (see all)
- French Government Challenge of 1,000 for African Entrepreneurs 2020 - November 21, 2019
- Book Review/How to Buy it: The Winning Streak: 40 Proven Secrets on How I Raise Money for my Business and How You Can Do the Same. By Mene Blessing. - November 20, 2019
- Apply for Africa-UK: Female Tech Founders 2020 (Fully Funded to UK) - November 20, 2019