HOW TO SET UP A ROOFING BUSINESS IN NIGERIA
How To Set Up A Roofing Business In Nigeria
Roofing business takes a lot more than just fixing roofs, or simply having the skills to fix roofs and nail down shingles. You have to possess a knack for business and also be able to follow through on all your promises, deliver quality work and stick to your business plan.
Roofing business basically involves installation, maintenance, coating, and repair services to clients.
What do I need to start a roofing business?
Here’s a quick checklist of the steps you can take to launch your roofing company in Nigeria;
- Have a business plan
Having a business plan for your roofing company is vital for its success and will help you through the startup, financing and operational procedures of your new business. A business plan is essentially a detailed report that outlines every aspect of your business. Often included in a business plan are your company’s vision, values and mission statement, a comprehensive business description, pricing list, financial projections, marketing and advertising strategies, goals and targets of your business, and other information. A well-written business plan can really be handy for accessing funding for your startup. If you wish to have a winning business plan prepared for you; kindly contact any of our business consultants by sending a direct mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 08105636015 or 08076359735.
- Make a list of tools and equipment
Next, you need to fully determine the equipment and tools you need to get your business off the ground. Make a list of the tools and equipment you will need to perform your services, and calculate the total cost of all the necessary supplies. In addition to basic equipments such as ladders, hammers and shingles. Do not forget to include the costs of any trucks, vans and other vehicles you will need to haul your equipment to job sites. Factor in the cost of consumables such as roofing nails, caulk, and roof coating solution as well.
Equipment and Supplies
Equipment will generally vary based on your type of roofing work but will include a suitable work vehicle and all necessary tools, ladders, scaffolding and safety gear required to perform your roofing work. Other expensive tools and heavy equipment like hydraulic lifts and cranes can always be rented when needed.
Keep the equipment in mind when planning to start your roofing business. Here are the basic pieces of equipment and tools needed for the business:
- Ladders. This is the most essential of tools, you will need a ladder that extends 30-40 feet, allowing you to access a roof with ease. Be sure to invest in quality ladders bearing in mind that you will be making use of it almost every day on site.
- Safety gear. Given the nature of your business, you just have to be safety conscious and pay attention to every detail as regarding safety precautions while on site. When you are working with high rise building you need to consider safety on every turn for you and your crew. Having the required safety equipment will ensure that no one gets hurt and that everyone remains safe throughout the job. You will need tools like hats, gloves and safety glasses.
- Pry bar. This tool is used to remove nails. A flat pry bar is a fast way to loosen nails and can also be used to demolish areas of the roof that are hard to get off
- Cordless drill. You will need this to drill holes in concrete, wood, and metal when you are putting in screws or any kind of fastener. You need to have a variety of drill bits to go along with the drill as well. An extra battery pack will also come in handy.
- Pneumatic nail gun. Another essential tool is a pneumatic nail gun which you will use to secure shingles and flashing into place upon a roof. This tool will make it easy for you to hammer hundreds of nails a day in seconds and will make the whole proofing process faster and easier.
- Wheelbarrow. Wheelbarrows will be useful when you are removing an old roof and for other logistics
- Caulking gun. You will use this for roof repair services.
- Framing square. You need a framing square to cut up shingles in precision. It will allow you to make straight edge cuts so your work is impeccable and have a good quality to it.
- Tin snips. Tin snips are ideal for cutting flashing to size and also creating fittings around gutters and drip edges. Just make sure that you buy a sharp pair
- General toolkit. The budget for a general toolkit that will consist of hammers, wrenches, hacksaws, screwdriver, and chisels. These will all come in handy as you work.
- Getting funding
Starting up this business is not quite capital intensive, although for some people, even accessing the funds for the startup may pose a problem. You can look to financial institutions like banks to get loans for your business or seek out angel investors. There are also lots of grants that you can access for your start-up. You can get more information about it here. Definitely, you should have some personal savings for your new business too.
- Choose a business name
Next, pick a name for your company which you want to incorporate. This is a great way of legalizing your business in Nigeria, simply have your company registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC).
When picking a name, avoid choosing a name that is too long or difficult to spell. Just keep it short and simple. You can read more about the benefits of registering a business name here or contact us right away to get started.
- Get Relevant Association Membership and Professional Certificate
Just like in any profession, you will need to be ascertained to provide quality services. You will have to register with the Council of Licensed Building Contractors in Nigeria (CORBON). Once you have the minimum required standard of a polytechnic or university degree in Building, the step involves begins with Purchasing/Downloading an application form which is available on CORBON website. You then follow the procedure prescribed there.
- Marketing your business
Now that you’ve gotten the essentials out of the way, your work is far from being done. You still need to have a great marketing plan with an effective marketing strategy to make it happen. If, perhaps you’re on a tight budget and you can take it one step after the other. You could start by designing a logo for your company, creating a Facebook page, printing business cards and fliers. And ultimately launching a simple website.
There are of course other aspects of your business that you need to take into considerations, your HR, company policy, other businesses and contemporaries in the construction industry. This checklist is just to give you a basic must-do list to get started. When you are now started, you will need to continually build on these to ensure your success.
We will like to hear from you and be part of your success story, do give us a call to us on either 08105636015 or 08076359735 or send an email to email@example.com .
Latest posts by DayoHub (see all)
- HOW TO SET UP A ROOFING BUSINESS IN NIGERIA - August 8, 2018
- 20 BUSINESSES YOU CAN START WITH N5000 AND BECOME A MILLIONAIRE IN 1 YEAR - August 8, 2018
- HOW TO START A FASHION DESIGNER BUSINESS IN NIGERIA - August 8, 2018